Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wacky Wednesday Write-up #7

Today was a challenging day to say the least! Chase was a true three year old. I've heard that the "terrible twos" are not as difficult as the "terrible threes" and for my three year old that is proving to be true, at least today... some days are golden and others test you. Yep, today was one of those days. It started from the moment he woke up and Scott nor I could put Chase's spiderman cape on just right... After his complete fit-throwing, breakdown my  first thought was to change my entire plan for the day and go to work but guilt started to set in as I promised Chase he did not have to go to school.

The rest of the morning was just as challenging with Chase wanting macaroni and cheese or pretzels for breakfast and then preceded to play really rough with Colby after repeatedly being told to be gentle, do not kick or hit his brother. Honestly, I felt like a referee all day long protecting Colby from Chase's kicks, head-bumps, pushes and hits. I can only guess it will only get worse as the boys get older, stronger and Colby can reciprocate. The scary part is that eventually they will be bigger than me and I will not be able to step in and protect one from the other!!

At about 11 a.m. I decided it was time to get out of the house but the rainy, gloomy day was not helping at all. My idea to get outside and go to the park so that Chase could burn off some of this energy was not going to pan out. So, I decided to try an indoor cafe/play area I heard about in town, Play-A-Latte. It was okay, a few kids and mom's were there, there was a bouncy house, pirate ship and soft play areas for Colby to enjoy but I wasn't thrilled with the place. Chase seemed to be in shy mode and needed me around or close by in order to feel comfortable enough to play.

We did meet another Chase which was really fun. His mom and I chatted for awhile as she tried to protect all the other kids from her Chase. He played a little rough but was sweet. It's so interesting to watch Chase in these situations with other kids with all types of personalities. Chase is usually shy at first until he feels comfortable and gets to know the kids he's with and then he'll be their best bud. We did have a "bully" type situation where a kid was blocking the entrance at the top of the slide and would not let Chase pass by.... I realized this when Chase did not come down the slide for several minutes and went to check on him... I saw the boy completely blocking the slide entrance and when Chase tried to get around, he would block him and put out his arms almost pushing him back. I politely asked the child to let him by and he just stared at me and continued to block the way. The boy's grandpa, who I believe he was with, was busy on his iPhone at the cafe' and not paying attention to what was happening. I asked again in a more stern voice a couple more times and he finally moved. I was a little taken aback by this situation as I haven't had to deal with a kid intentionally bullying my kid before. After Chase got down the slide he was a bit more timid and didn't want to play and instead eat the rest of his lunch.... After the kid left with his grandpa, he turns to me and says, "I want to play now, the bad boy is gone."

We then headed to Target which seems to have become our weekly shopping destination on Wednesdays. Today we went to pick up something special for Chase's friend and a few cards. Chase had fun shopping for his buddy, Matthew, although it was a learning experience as Chase wanted every toy that he was supposed to be picking out for Matthew! :) So, we of course left with another toy for Chase (Scott will be so pleased) only because Chase wore me down and it was within my budget and I knew it would keep him occupied when we got home. Chase is now the proud owner of a new toy bowling set. We had fun the rest of the afternoon bowling, and playing with our new giant bear who is now an official member of our family as of a couple weeks ago thanks to our friend, Miss Cheri who babysat for the boys recently. Chase and Colby love pouncing on the bear and hugging him and laying on him. He's really huge, bigger than me, not taller but bigger in the tummy area, thank goodness :-)

Well, that was our day. I won't say it was one of our best Wednesdays together but the most important part is that we were together. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment